The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) has a system that allows registered users to electronically upload W-2 and 1099 data.
Employers and payers have the ability to electronically submit
- Arizona Form A1-R or Arizona Form A1-APR, and
- federal Forms W-2, W-2c, W-2G, and supported federal Forms 1099.
For calendar year 2021, the following federal Forms 1099 are accepted electronically: 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, and 1099-R.
The due date for these submissions is January 31, 2022.
W-2 and 1099 Information
Payroll Service Providers
Registration and Transmission of W-2 and 1099 Files
Withholding Tutorials and FAQs
The electronic submission of the federal Forms may be completed in several ways:
- All employers will have the option of uploading all of their federal Forms W-2 and 1099 through AZTaxes.gov. The employer will key in the information from their Arizona Form A1-R, or their Arizona Form A1-APR, and then upload a text file containing the data from federal Forms W-2 or 1099. The text file format is the same format required by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS); a few exceptions are noted in Arizona Department of Revenue Publication 701.
- Payroll companies will be able to upload their Arizona Forms A1-R or A1-APR, and their federal Forms W-2 and 1099, through the AZFSET portal.
- For employers who have 50 employees or less, the data from their federal Forms W-2 or 1099 can be hand-keyed by using the interactive entry form located at AZTaxes.gov.
- Payroll service providers registered with the department as qualified transmitters will be able to transmit the data from federal Forms W-2 and 1099 directly to the department.
The department will continue to accept the electronic filing of the Arizona Quarterly Withholding Tax Return (Arizona Form A1-QRT) through AZFSET or through AZTaxes.gov.
If you choose not to use one of these methods for the 2021 tax year, you may still mail paper copies of federal Forms W-2, W-2C, W-2G, and 1099, or you may send the department a secure CD, DVD or flash drive with the SSA formatted text file for federal Forms W-2 and W-2c, or the IRS formatted text file for federal Forms W-2G and 1099.
At present, ADOR will not be accepting federal Form 1099-NEC electronically. Therefore, each federal Form 1099-NEC required to be submitted to ADOR must be submitted as a .txt file on Optical Media (as defined in Publication 701) or by a paper document. If providing the information by Optical Media, ensure State Income Tax Withheld is included in the file.
ADOR only requires submission of Form 1099 that report Arizona income tax withheld. Taxpayers only need to submit Form 1099-NEC if there is Arizona withheld.
All federal attachments (including Form 1099-NEC) are due with Arizona reconciliation forms. Arizona reconciliation Form A1-R and Form A1-APR are due January 31 of the calendar year after the wages were paid or payments were made.
If the Arizona Annual Reconciliation form (Form A1-R or Form A1-APR) was filed electronically, any federal attachments mailed to the Department (Optical Media or paper) should be attached to a paper Form A1-T.
Extensions may be requested/granted. Information regarding extensions is available at the following link: https://azdor.gov/sites/default/files/PROCEDURES_WTHOLD_2019_wtp11-1.pdf.
Sign Up for Emails and Texts
Subscribe to receive email or text alerts for topics including due dates, news and announcements, new features and tax reminders. Be among the first to receive updates without having to return to the website and check for changes.