The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) has a system that allows registered users to electronically upload W-2 and 1099 data.
Employers and payers have the ability to electronically submit
- Arizona Form A1-R or Arizona Form A1-APR
- federal Forms W-2, W-2c, W-2G, and supported federal Forms 1099.
For calendar year 2021, the following federal Forms 1099 are accepted electronically: 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, and 1099-R.
The due date for these submissions is January 31, 2022.
W-2 and 1099 Information
Payroll Service Providers
Registration and Transmission of W-2 and 1099 Files
Withholding Tutorials and FAQs
The electronic submission of the federal Forms may be completed in several ways:
- All employers will have the option of uploading all of their federal Forms W-2 and 1099 through AZTaxes.gov. The employer will key in the information from their Arizona Form A1-R, or their Arizona Form A1-APR, and then upload a text file containing the data from federal Forms W-2 or 1099. The text file format is the same format required by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS); a few exceptions are noted in Arizona Department of Revenue Publication 701.
- Payroll companies will be able to upload their Arizona Forms A1-R or A1-APR, and their federal Forms W-2 and 1099, through the AZFSET portal.
- For employers who have 50 employees or less, the data from their federal Forms W-2 or 1099 can be hand-keyed by using the interactive entry form located at AZTaxes.gov.
- Payroll service providers registered with the department as qualified transmitters will be able to transmit the data from federal Forms W-2 and 1099 directly to the department.
The department will continue to accept the electronic filing of the Arizona Quarterly Withholding Tax Return (Arizona Form A1-QRT) through AZFSET or through AZTaxes.gov.
If you choose not to use one of these methods for the 2020 tax year, you may still mail paper copies of federal Forms W-2, W-2C, W-2G, and 1099, or you may send the department a secure CD, DVD or flash drive with the SSA formatted text file for federal Forms W-2 and W-2c, or the IRS formatted text file for federal Forms W-2G and 1099.
However, please note: for the 2021 tax year, due January 31, 2022, all federal Forms W-2, W-2c, reporting Arizona wages and/or Arizona income tax withheld and federal Forms W-2G and supported federal Forms 1099 reporting Arizona income tax withheld must be submitted by one of the electronic methods listed above.
Sign Up for Emails and Texts
Subscribe to receive email or text alerts for topics including due dates, news and announcements, new features and tax reminders. Be among the first to receive updates without having to return to the website and check for changes.