The Arizona Department of Revenue will follow the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announcement regarding the start of the 2020 electronic filing season. Because Arizona electronic income tax returns are processed and accepted through the IRS first, Arizona’s electronic filing system for individual income tax returns is dependent upon the IRS' launch date. Remember, the starting point of the Arizona individual income tax return is the Federal Adjusted Gross Income. The Arizona Department of Revenue will begin processing electronic individual income tax returns beginning mid-February.
Taxpayers can begin filing individual income tax returns through Free File partners and individual income tax returns will be sent to the IRS starting mid-February. Tax software companies also are accepting tax filings in advance of the IRS' launch date.
Please refer to the E-File Service page for details on the e-filing process.
Electronically File Your Arizona 2020 Income Tax Returns for Free
Free File Alliance is a nonprofit coalition of industry-leading tax software companies partnered with ADOR and the IRS to provide free electronic tax services. Free File is the fast, safe and free way to do your tax return online.
Individuals who meet certain criteria can get assistance with income tax filing. Taxpayers can file for free if they meet the following criteria:
- Review the offers from the vendors listed below by clicking on their logo.
- Follow the (logo) Free File link since another entry to the website may cause a charge for the filing.
- Select a vendor and begin a return on the website.
Free File Alliance Partner Options
The Arizona Department of Revenue does not endorse any specific tax filing product. Any questions regarding software or availability of forms should be directed to the software company.
Free E-File Exclusions
While most taxpayers are eligible to e-file, certain free file program exclusions do apply. Returns meeting any of the following criteria may not be e-filed under the free file program:
- Amended returns and returns for corporate income tax. Transaction privilege tax and withholding tax returns can be filed online at AZTaxes.gov.
- Returns prior to tax year 2012.
- Returns requiring taxpayers to file other forms not on ADOR’s “Accepted Forms” list.
- Returns reporting or claiming information for an individual without a social security number, including dependents without social security numbers.