*this information for Model City Tax Code purposes only
(1) Any tax, penalty, or interest imposed under this Chapter which has become final, as provided in this Chapter, shall become a lien when the City perfects a notice and claim of lien setting forth the name of the taxpayer, the amount of the tax, penalty, and interest, the period or periods for which the same is due, and the date of accrual thereof, the amount of the recording costs by the county recorder in any county in which the taxpayer owns real property and the documentation and lien processing fees imposed by the City Council and further, stating that the City claims a lien therefor.
(2) The notice of claim of lien shall be signed by the ________________________ under his official seal or the official seal of the City, and, with respect to real property, shall be recorded in the office of the County Recorder of any county in which the taxpayer owns real property, and, with respect to personal property shall be filed in the office of the Secretary of State. After the notice and claim of lien is recorded or filed, the taxes, penalties, interest and recording costs and lien processing fees referred to above in the amounts specified therein shall be a lien on all real property of the taxpayer located in such county where recorded, and all tangible personal property of the taxpayer within the State, superior to all other liens and assessments recorded or filed subsequent to the recording or filing of the notice and claim of lien.
(3) Every tax and any increases, interest, penalties, and recording costs and lien processing fees referred to above, shall become from the time the same is due and payable a personal debt from the person liable to the City, but shall be payable to and recoverable by the Tax Collector and which may be collected in the manner set forth in Subsection (b) below.
(4) Any lien perfected pursuant to this Section shall, upon payment of the taxes, penalties, interest, recording costs and lien processing fees referred to above and lien release fees imposed by the county recorder in any county in which the lien was recorded, thereby, be released by the Tax Collector in the same manner as mortgages and judgments are released. The Tax Collector may, at his sole discretion, release a lien in part, that is, against only specified property, for partial payment of moneys due the City.
(b) Actions to recover tax. An action may be brought by the City Attorney or other legal advisor to the City designated by the City Council, at the request of the Tax Collector, in the name of the City, to recover the amount of any taxes, penalties, interest, recording costs, lien processing fees and lien release fees due under this Chapter; provided that:
(1) no action or proceeding may be taken or commenced to collect any taxes levied by this Chapter until the amount thereof has been established by assessment, correction, or reassessment; and
(2) such collection effort is made or the proceedings begun:
(A) within six (6) years after the assessment of the tax; or
(B) prior to the expiration of any period of collection agreed upon in writing by the Tax Collector and the taxpayer before the expiration of such six (6) year period, or any extensions thereof; or
(C) at any time for the collection of tax arising by reason of a tax lien perfected, recorded, or possessed by the City under this Section.