*This information is for Model City Tax Code purposes only.
(a) The following persons shall make application to the Tax Collector for a Transaction Privilege and Use Tax License and no person shall engage or continue in business or engage in such activities until he shall have such a license:
(1) Every person engaging or continuing in business activities within the city or town upon which a Transaction Privilege Tax is imposed by this Chapter.
**((2) Every person engaging or continuing in business within the city or town and storing or using tangible personal property in this municipality upon which a Use Tax is imposed by this Chapter.
Model Option #15: (2) (Reserved))**
++(Local Option #Q:
(3) every person required to report and pay a tax upon Rental Occupancy, as imposed by Section ___-440.)++
(b) For the purpose of determining whether a Transaction Privilege and Use Tax License is required, a person shall be deemed to be "engaging or continuing in business" within the city or town if:
(1) engaging in any activity as a principal or broker, the gross receipts of which may be subject to Transaction Privilege Tax under Article IV of this Chapter, or
(2) maintaining within the city or town directly, or if a corporation by a subsidiary, an office, distribution house, sales house, warehouse or other place of business; maintaining within the city or town directly, or if a corporation by a subsidiary, any real or tangible personal property; or having any agent or other representative operating within the city or town under the authority of such person, or if a corporation by a subsidiary, irrespective of whether such place of business, property, or agent or other representative is located here permanently or temporarily, or
(3) soliciting sales, orders, contracts, leases, and other similar forms of business relationships, within the city or town from customers, consumers, or users located within the city or town, by means of salesmen, solicitors, agents, representatives, brokers, and other similar agents or by means of catalogs or other advertising, whether such orders are received or accepted within or without this city or town.
**((4) A person shall also be deemed to be "engaging or continuing in business" if engaging in any activity subject to Use Tax under Article VI of this Chapter for business purposes. Individuals who acquire items subject to Use Tax for their own personal use or their family's personal use are not required to obtain a license.
Model Option #15: (4) (Reserved))**
++(Local Option #Q:
(5) Every person required to report and pay a tax upon Rental Occupancy, as imposed by Section ___-440.)++
(c) A person engaging in more than one activity subject to Transaction Privilege Tax at any one business location is not required to obtain a separate license for each activity, provided that, at the time such person makes application for a license, he shall list on such application each category of activity in which he is engaged
(d) The licensee shall inform the Tax Collector of any changes in his business activities, location, or mailing address within thirty (30) days.
(e) Limitation. The issuance of a Transaction Privilege and Use Tax License by the Tax Collector shall in no way be construed as permission to operate a business activity in violation of any other law or regulation to which such activity may be subject.
(f) Casual activity. For the purposes of this Chapter, individuals engaging in a “casual activity or sale” are not subject to the license requirements imposed under this Article provided that they are only engaged in private sales activities, such as the sale of a personal automobile or garage sale, on no more than three separate occasions during any calendar year.