The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) has announced it has moved the deadline for filing and paying state income taxes from April 15 to July 15, 2020 following direction today by Governor Doug Ducey.
This is consistent with Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin’s announcement that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has moved the deadline for 2019 federal tax returns to July 15, 2020.
The announcement by ADOR includes individual, corporate and fiduciary tax returns.
The new deadline means taxpayers filing state tax returns or submitting payments after the previous April 15 deadline will not be assessed late filing or late payment penalties.
Taxpayers anticipating they will need more time beyond the new July 15 deadline to file state income taxes should consider filing for an extension by submitting Arizona Form 204 by July 15. Taxpayers do not need to submit Arizona Form 204 if they have already received a federal extension from the IRS.
Individuals should ensure to file accurate tax returns. Here are some key tips:
- E-file. Electronic filing is more accurate, secure and faster.
- Ensure all the necessary lines and forms are filled out correctly. Avoid math errors or miscalculations.
- Don't misspell names or use two different names.
- Make sure key information like tax ID number, Social Security number, routing number or account number are correct in all the appropriate boxes.
- If filing a paper return, use black ink and print on white paper.
- Do not staple or attach anything to paper returns.
- Don't forget to sign and date the return.
The Department of Revenue encourages taxpayers to file electronically, as e-filing is more efficient, more secure and refunds are processed faster than refunds from paper tax returns.
Please note: The announcement to extend the deadline for filing and paying state income taxes to July 15, 2020, indicates that late filing or late payment penalties will not be assessed.
Additionally, interest has been waived under this announcement.
For more information, please go to Arizona General Tax Notice (GTN 20-1).
Friday, March 20, 2020