When it comes to Arizona income tax refunds, processing times vary and depend on how taxpayers file (e-file or paper) and the date the return was filed. Individuals waiting for refunds can check their status by visiting Where’s My Refund on AZTaxes.gov.
Protecting taxpayers from identity theft is our priority. The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) is committed to conducting a comprehensive fraud detection review of state tax returns. This means the department is not in a position to provide specific timeframes for refund processing. Tax returns may also take longer because of calculation errors, missing information or information irregularities.
Please note: Every return is different, which means it is necessary for ADOR staff to take the necessary time to ensure refunds are going back to the right person. Once a person’s refund is processed, the information provided on Where’s My Refund will be updated.
Did you receive a letter from ADOR that some or all of your refund was adjusted to pay outstanding liabilities?
Overall, here are some tips taxpayers can do to speed up the refund process:
File early and file electronically. E-filing is more secure and easier.
- Ensure all the necessary lines and forms are filled out properly. Avoid math errors or miscalculations.
- Double check spelling of names.
- Avoid using two different names.
- Make sure key information like tax identification numbers, social security numbers, routing numbers or account numbers are correct in all the appropriate boxes.
- Ensure all the information and supporting documentation is correctly stated in the tax return.
- Don't forget to sign and date a return.
- Respond to letters from ADOR with the requested information as quickly as possible so ADOR’s tax experts can complete the review and issue the refund.
Also, if an individual receives a phone call from ADOR requesting additional information, that person can call the department’s Customer Care Center at (602) 255-3381, or toll free at (800) 352-4090 to confirm the call was from an ADOR official. Once verified, the individual should provide the requested information as quickly as possible.
For paper filed returns, taxpayers should allow 8 weeks from the date filed before contacting ADOR’s Customer Care Center to check on the status of a return. They should be prepared to provide their social security number, zip code and filing status reported on their returns when inquiring on their refunds.
Where's My Refund?