Phoenix, AZ—The Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR) presents a variety of free filing services for taxpayers this tax filing season. Taxpayers are strongly encouraged to e-file and direct deposit their refund for a more accurate and secure return; which delivers refunds six times faster.
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide – If a taxpayer is 50 and older and cannot afford a tax preparation service to file federal and Arizona returns, they can obtain assistance at www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide.
- Free File Alliance – Individuals with a federal adjusted gross income in 2021 of $73,000 or less may qualify to receive free e-file preparation from a certified software vendor. Through the Free File Alliance, a taxpayer’s 2021 federal and state income tax returns can be filed at no cost to them. Visit ADOR’s Free Electronic Filing page for vendors.
- To ensure no fee is charged, taxpayers must go to the Department’s website to complete the return. This saves on preparation fees, prevents costly errors, and ensures that the taxpayer receives any refund directly in the most efficient way possible.
- Nearly 88,000 Arizona taxpayers used the Free File software last year, saving themselves approximately $9.6 million.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) – Taxpayers who made $58,000 or less, have disabilities, or limited English-speaking ability, can acquire free preparation of their tax returns from VITA.
- 211 Information: For taxpayers who are elderly, disabled, or low income, visit www.211arizona.org for free, local federal and state tax preparation locations.
Note: Some tax preparation services may not offer in-person assistance but rather drop-off or virtual assistance. Contact the tax preparer for availability.
For individuals also needing assistance but do not qualify for free electronic filing services, ADOR suggests:
- Approved Vendor (fees): Visit https://azdor.gov/e-services/approved-vendors to view the list of software providers certified to submit electronically filed returns with ADOR.
- Online Forms - If a taxpayer is confident enough to file their taxes independently, Arizona offers fillable tax forms to prepare their returns. Arizona forms and instructions are available to print at https://www.azdor.gov/Forms.
To ensure a successful e-filing experience, be sure to collect and bring:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for both spouses and any dependents (or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)
- Birth dates for both spouses and any dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
To receive income tax updates, be sure to subscribe to the “Individual Income Tax” list. Check out ADOR’s website at https://azdor.gov/individual-income-tax-information for additional tax filing requirements, instructions, and important tax filing tips.
Tuesday, February 8, 2022