Other Important Tax Filing Tips

Individuals needing a copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and/or attachments, including form W-2, can file Arizona Form 450, Request for Certified Copies of Documents. The fee for copies will have to be submitted with the completed form.

Processed tax returns available are the current tax year and prior four years. Jointly filed income tax returns may be requested by either spouse and require only one signature on the request form. For transaction privilege, withholding or corporate tax, the requestor must be the owner of the business or officer of the corporation. Otherwise, an Arizona Power of Attorney Form 285 is required.

For those taxpayers who need income tax preparation assistance, two organizations, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP, offer assistance. This tax assistance is available to individuals with low to moderate incomes, military personnel, people with disabilities and senior citizens.

For more information, please contact Community Information and Referral by dialing 2-1-1 within Arizona, toll-free (877) 211-8661, or visit www.22arizona.org/tax.

AARP also offers assistance for the homebound. Please call (888) 227-7669 for more information.


Tips to speed up the refund process:

  • Do not staple any items to the return. Do not staple any documents, schedules or payment to your return.
  • Ensure all the necessary lines and forms are filled out properly. Avoid math errors or miscalculations.
  • Double check the spelling of names and avoid using two different names.
  • Make sure that you enter your Social Security Number (SSN) on your return.
  • Ensure all the information and supporting documentation is correctly stated in the tax return.
  • Don't forget to sign and date the return.
  • If filing a paper return, use black ink and print on white paper.
  • Make sure you include your daytime telephone number. 


To expedite the processing of an income tax return, we strongly encourages taxpayers to use the fillable Arizona tax forms or electronically file. Fillable forms are available on our website under Forms. Electronic filing information is also available on our website under E-Services.